This Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe is very soft, thick, and easy to make. Filled with shredded chicken and beans, it is a fun soup crowd filled with your favorite Mexican flavors and very comfortable and delicious.
Enchilada Soup is one of the most flavorful soup recipes that is not only filling and entertaining, but also full of flavor and soup recipes that delight many people who will make smiles on everyone's faces. They are full of beans, chicken, and all the Tex-Mex flavors you love all in one delicious soup bowl. This easy-to-make Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup is perfect for every Saturday night especially on busy work nights when you only need a ready dinner in a short amount of time.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP
This chicken enchilada soup recipe is made on the stovetop. We will also be showing you further on how to make it on your crockpot, slow cooker, and instant pot.
Note: Recipe calls for cooked shredded chicken. Either get a storebought rotisserie chicken and use that or cook your own at home using chicken breast (scroll down to learn how to cook the chicken for your enchilada soup).
To make enchilada soup on your stovetop:
- Prepare vegetables and ingredients: Set up all the ingredients and get your shredded chicken ready.
- Cook vegetables: Add butter or oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. First, add the onions, celery, carrots, bell pepper, garlic and cook until softens, about 5-6 minutes. Then, stir in seasonings, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Cook and prep soup: Lower the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until veggies are very tender.
- Blend: remove from heat and using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy. (This is optional if you don’t want to blend you can skip this step).
- Add beans and chicken: Place the soup back over medium heat and add in beans, corn and shredded cooked chicken. Stir to combine and boil for a couple of minutes, just to heat it all up.
- Serve: Pour into bowls and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP TOPPINGS:
Some optional toppings you can add to your creamy chicken enchilada soup are
- Chopped avocado
- Sliced jalapeño
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Green onions
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream or yogurt etc.
How to cook chicken for enchilada soup
Cooking the chicken is quite simple. It's easier to use rotisserie chicken but you can certainly cook it yourself. We recommend using skinless and boneless chicken breast.
- Add chicken to a pan full of water
- We like to add a kind of seasoning to taste the chicken. Use half the onion and bay leaves. sometimes we use cinnamon sticks but not for this particular recipe.
- Let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes until you easily insert a knife or fork through the chicken Then, drain in a colander and let it cool
- Finally, using your hand or fork, cut the chicken.
How to make chicken enchilada soup using an instant pot, crockpot or slow cooker
There are other ways to make chicken enchilada soup other than using your stovetop. Here are other ways to cook up your soup.
Chicken enchilada soup using an Instant Pot:
- Using the saute option, add the oil or butter in the instant pot, then add the onions, celery, carrots, bell pepper, garlic and cook until softens, about 5-6 minutes
- If using raw chicken, add in with the veggies in the previous step at the bottom.
- Add in the seasonings, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth.
- Next, add in the beans, corn, and shredded cooked chicken (if using pre-cooked shredded chicken). Stir to combine.
- Then, place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal. Using the “manual” setting, cook on high pressure for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow the instant pot to natural release for 10 minutes or so before doing a quick release
- Finally, remove the lid from Instant Pot, shred the chicken (if used raw whole chicken breast), and
- serve with your favorite toppings.
How do you thicken chicken enchilada soup
To thicken your enchilada soup, mix about 1-2 tablespoon of whole wheat flour with some cold water and add over the soup and let it cook for a few more minutes.
Another option would be to blend some of the beans and add them back in to make the soup thicker.
How to store chicken enchilada soup
Place your creamy chicken enchilada soup in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for 4-5 days. Store in the freezer for 3-4 months. To reheat, place in a pot/pan and reheat on the stovetop or microwave in a bowl.
Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 Tbsp Butter or Ghee or avocado oil
- 1 Medium Onion diced
- 2 Celery Stalks sliced
- 1 Medium Carrot thinly sliced
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper diced
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 1½ Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 15 oz Diced fire-roasted Tomatoes 1 can
- ¼ Cup Tomato Paste
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 14.5 oz Red Kidney Beans rinsed, 1 can
- 14.5 oz Black Beans rinsed, 1 can
- 1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Sweet Corn
- 2 Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 1 Cup Mexican Shredded Cheese Blend
- Salt and pepper, to your taste
- Melt butter or ghee (add avocado oil is using) in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, bell pepper, garlic and cook until softens, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in seasonings, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until veggies are very tender.
- Remove from heat and using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy. Place the soup back over medium heat and add in beans, corn and shredded cooked chicken.
- Stir to combine and boil for a couple of minutes, just to heat it all up.
- Then pour into bowls and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!