Motorola's answer to this year's budget market is the Moto G6, a device that is quickly turning out to be a great choice for those looking for an affordable yet promising smartphone. Although the Moto G6, like all previous incarnations, got special releases in markets like India, the international bits of the company have an edge over companies like Xioami, Oppo or Vivo. Built from a flanked glass design, Moto G6 is sure to be one of the more beautiful devices to take, even at the end of 2018. However, one factor that has changed so many heads is the fact that it comes with almost Android.
I know, I know, following the company's bad footsteps for software updates, just feel foolish for someone to whitelist this smartphone into many other offerings based solely on lust for software updates and timely security patches, but there's no doubt that the Motorola family also has received the biased treatment of some of our developers, who are growing rapidly and porting the best custom mods and ROMs you've ever seen! In such a case, it only makes sense for you to go ahead and try sideloading all these interesting and unique features onto your device!
If you are, in fact, looking for a place to start by exploring the very world of Android customization, then we've got you covered! While it may seem sluggish for you to get through all the steps that prevent you from reaching full control over your smartphone, it's not as difficult as it seems, and we're here to make it simpler. Read on to learn how you can unlock your device's bootloader, slap a custom recovery on it, and finally break the chain with rooting it!
Although this method will work for all variants of Motorola Moto G6, which has been confirmed listed below:
We do not recommend that you try the following guidelines on models not mentioned above.
- To get started, make sure you have the latest version of ADB and Fastboot installed on your computer. If you do not, follow our guidelines to quickly install ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Unlock OEM Unlocking in your Moto G6. This can be done by enabling Developer Options first by navigating to Settings> About Mobile, and tapping Build Number 7 times. Go back to the Settings menu, point to Developer Options and check to enable OEM Unlocking.
- The unlock bootloader process will not only void your warranty but will also erase all your data, including your internal storage. We recommend that you take a full copy of your device before proceeding. For an easy way to back up your entire smartphone, check out our best options to back up your Android smartphone.
- Finally, make sure your phone is charged at least up to 60% battery to prevent unexpected shutdown in the middle of the process.
- XT1925-2 – XT1925-2_no-verity-boot.img
- XT1925-4 – XT1925-4_no-verity-boot.img
- XT1925-5 – XT1925-5_no-verity-boot.img
- XT1925-6 – XT1925-6_no-verity-boot.img
Encryption-Disabler Modified for ALI
Steps to Unlock the Bootloader in Moto G6
- On your computer, navigate to the ADB and Fastboot folders and run the command prompt window (right click while holding shift).
- Make sure you have all the necessary drivers installed, and connect your Moto G6 to the computer.
- Type the following command to confirm the connection:
- If everything is good, you should see your device’s serial number in a second or two. Now, proceed to booting your phone in the bootloader mode by entering the following command :
adb reboot bootloader
- Type or copy/paste the following command in the cmd window:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
You’ll get a return string in the command window. Copy it down.
- Paste the copied string in the Notepad and remove the spaces if any.
- Now open the Motorola website. Sign in with your Google account or Motorola ID.
- Now paste the copied string into the text field and then click “Can my device be unlocked?” button.
- You will see a "REQUEST UNLOCK KEY" button at the bottom of the page. Check the "I Agree" option and press the button.
- You will receive an email to the Email ID registered with the unlock key.
- Now run the following command in cmd (replace the "UNIQUE_KEY" text with the 20-character unlock key:
fastboot oem unlock UNIQUE_KEY
- This will unlock the bootloader on your device and format your device in the process.
- When done, reboot your device and finish.
There he is. You have successfully unlocked the bootloader on your Moto G6!
Install TWRP Recovery and Root Moto G6
Reboot your device in bootloader mode once again, and connect it to your computer.
Download the TWRP image as mentioned above, and boot into this recovery by entering the following command
fastboot boot MotoG6-ali-TWRP.img
You will see your device boot into the recovery mode. If prompted, Swipe to confirm modifications. Now, we need to make a backup of your current stock boot image to prevent any hassles in the future. To do so, issue the following command in the command prompt window :
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot stockboot.img adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery stockrecovery.img
Reboot your device in bootloader mode once again.
adb reboot bootloaderFlash the no-dm-verity file you had downloaded prior to this process.
fastboot flash boot <insert-boot-image-name-here>.imgFinally, you may proceed to flash TWRP Recovery on your system partition by entering the following command :
fastboot flash recovery MotoG6-ali-TWRP.imgReboot your device into the recovery mode. TWRP should ask you for a password, just dismiss it.
Swipe to allow system modifications once again, and tap on Wipe, Format Data, and type yes. This will wipe your entire internal storage. Navigate to Advanced > ADB Sideload, and swipe to get your device ready.
Download the verity-disabler and once again flash it using ADB on your computer. This step is to prevent force encryption while booting up, and to preserve your new recovery partition after every new boot.
adb sideload Force_Encryption_Disabler_For_ALI_Oreo_v2.zip /tmpAt this point, sideload the Magisk file you had downloaded to gain complete root access on your Moto G6.
adb sidleoad Magisk-v16.6.zip /tmpTake a deep breath and reboot your Moto G6.
Great job! You’ve succeeded in flashing TWRP recovery as well as rooting your Moto G6! What’s next for you? Feel free to surf around our enormous library of tweaks, tricks, modifications and ROMs to spruce up your Android experience on an entirely new level!
Also Read More :
- Download Wallpapers In FHD Resolution Xiaomi Mi Max 3 Stock.
- Download HS-USB QDLoader Qualcomm 9008 Driver For Windows
- Download HUAWEI MATE 10 Pro B146 Oreo Update Agustus (Europe)
- Guide to Unlock Bootloader using ADB and Fastboot Download
- Step by Step Guide and Download USB Driver for MediaTek Smartphone