For the uninitiated, all Android devices have built-in WiFi Hotspot feature. Most Android users know about it. Users in the United States though may not be so aware. Of course, those who visit sites like DroidViews are sure but probably not the general masses. One reason is that these people never even dive deeply into Setting. Another reason could be how most operators in the US deliberately disable this feature on phones they sell. They do not want users to share their data plans unless the company is paid a little extra. Of course, as a result, there are various applications and methods that many people use to by-pass these limits without having to pay. With this method, you can edit the APN Settings and also enable the original hotspot feature. Today, we'll see how it can be done on the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.
All you need is a simple application called Shortcut Master Lite. This app is not actually developed to enable native hotspot features. Shortcut Master Lite is a Lite or a free version of Shortcut Master, an app that reveals hidden shortcuts or secret codes on your Android device. Because the carrier simply disables the ability to launch APN settings or enable hotspots from the Settings app, one can use apps like Shortcut Master to do so. It is an over-simplification process, but it's more or less. This method was originally incorporated by BlueFox721 from XDA who has tested it on the Sprint Galaxy Note 8 as well as the unlocked Galaxy Note 8.
Install Shortcut Master Lite
Edit APN Settings
- Launch Shortcut Master Lite and tap on the three-dot menu button in the top-right corner.
- Select App Explorer. It may take a couple of seconds to load up all the apps.
- Scroll down and find com.test.LTEfunctionality and choose it. Alternatively, you can press the menu button and select search, then type com.test.LTEfunction to search for it.
- Now select the first item labeled LTEFunctionalityTest and select Launch from the menu that appears.
- Scroll down and select APN LTE Settings and select the APN Settings you want to edit. You can also add your own by tapping Add instead.
- When you're done, tap the menu button again, select Save and exit the app.
Enable Native Wi-fy Hotspot
- Select your carrier's internet APN setting in step 5 above. This is obviously different for different operators. For example, it is listed as APN2 LTE internet for Sprint.
- Scroll down and select APN Type.
- Add DUN to settings read as default, mms, DUN.
- Save the settings by pressing the menu button and selecting Save.
- Sign out of app
- You may have to reapply the settings each time the app is updated. We recommend disabling automatic updates for apps in the Play Store.